The Prague Chapel of St. Wenceslas was consecrated by Charles IV in 1367. These two giants meet on a half-ounce commemorative medal of pure gold issued by the Czech Mint 650 years later.
The Chapel of St. Wenceslas in St. Vitus Cathedral at Prague Castle is the central ideological area of the temple and one of the most important treasures of medieval architecture. The architect of the sanctuary was no less than the Gothic genius Petr Parler and Charles IV was the creator of its iconographic program. Father of Homeland was a great admirer of St. Wenceslas. The tithe of gold and silver mines in Bohemia, which was devoted to the construction of the cathedral, was used primarily to decorate the tomb of the saint. The chapel is dominated by the stone iconic statue of St. Wenceslas carved by Peter Parler, and Charles IV was immortalized on the walls of the chapel. He is together with his fourth wife, Elizabeth Pomerania and his son Wenceslas IV a part of the Passion painting with the motif of the crucifixion of Jesus Christ.. The emperor placed the chapel in the coronation ceremony after the consecration in 1367. St. Wenceslas crown was to rest on the skull of St. Wenceslas, and a separate chamber was built for the crown jewellery to be stored.
The gold medal, which is a part of the free cycle of the Czech Mint dedicated to the most beautiful unrealized designs submitted to the Czech National Bank competitions, is the work of the leading academic sculptor Majka Wichnerova. She took third place "for imaginative composition and rich and sensitive modeling" in the artistic contest of the CNB. The creation of the obverse side was inspired by the decoration of the chapel - the statue of St. Wenceslas and the wall painting of Charles IV. The relief of the reverse side is based on the shrines´door with metalwork.
Emission counts only 99 medals that are hand-numbered on the edge. Each of them includes an illustrated certificate of authenticity that tells the story of a magnificent building.